Non Conformity in Uppingham, Resources & Overview - Margaret Stacey
The history of nonconformity in Rutland is well documented in ‘Rutland in Dissent’ by Pauline Collett, published 2011by Spiegl Press Ltd, Stamford. (RID) This is recommended reading for anyone exploring the origins or existence of nonconformist chapels and meeting houses in Uppingham. Most of the information below has been taken from this publication. Where records exist, most can be found in the Record Office of Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland (ROLLR), Lincoln Archives and Northamptonshire Record Office. Some records are also held at the Rutland County Museum. ‘RID’ lists six known chapels or meeting houses in Uppingham spanning the middle of the seventeenth century until the present day. Of these six, only one, the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (now the Uppingham Methodist Church) is still in existence, although a further three existed within living memory. In chronological order of foundation, the known chapels or meeting houses of Uppingham are listed below: Baptist There is evidence of a Baptist cause in Uppingham from the middle of the seventeenth century, but the first known building was registered in 1829 and is recorded in the Religious Census of 1851. A little of the history is noted in RID, but no records are known to have survived. Congregational Church (formerly Ebenezer Chapel) This originated out of the Presbyterian cause which started in Uppingham in 1672. Various barns, cottages or rooms were registered for worship prior to the building of the chapel in 1814. This housed a large and influential congregation until the mid twentieth century when it began to decline. The church building has now been converted to dwellings, but the manse alongside is still used as Uppingham Congregational House Church. A transcript of the Baptism Register from 1785 to 1837 is available for purchase from the publications page of this website and an unpublished history of the church can be found in Rutland County Museum and at ROLLR. Uppingham Methodist Church (formerly Wesleyan Methodist Chapel) The Methodist Church has existed on the same site since 1819 and is now the only nonconformist place of worship in Uppingham. The history of the chapel has been widely researched by Margaret Stacey, and three publications are available for downloading on our publications page. Also available is the history of the Drake family of Uppingham Methodist Church; the story of the Reverend George William Clutterbuck and biographical details of the Ladies of the Uppingham Sisterhood in 1931. Extensive records are available at ROLLR including the two Oakham Circuit Baptism Registers containing Uppingham entries from 1818 to 1837. Access the 1837 to 1944 Register on our site. Other sources for Methodist research include the Dictionary of Methodism and the Methodist Collections at John Rylands Library, Manchester. Margaret Stacey can be contacted via email for more information on Uppingham Methodist Church. Protestant Dissenters ‘RID’ gives details of two properties being registered as places of dissenting worship in 1777 and 1824. Other than the names on the documents nothing further is known of these causes. Bethesda Chapel This building, in Orange Street was registered for dissenting worship in 1845 and became a Strict Baptist Chapel, existing until about 1960. An unpublished history of the building can be found in Rutland County Museum and at ROLLR. Uppingham Plymouth Brethen Meeting House Plymouth Brethren met in Hope’s Yard from 1870 until the middle of the twentieth century. Details of the building can be found in an unpublished history of Hope’s Yard which is available in Rutland County Museum and at ROLLR. Rutland Nonconformist Chapels and Meetings by Nigel Webb provides photographs and commentary on many of the chapels. ++++ Non Conformity in Uppingham - Notes from a presentation given by Margaret Stacey
Uppingham Local History Study Group